Monday, June 25, 2012

Love is a Leap of Faith...


So I suppose it is fitting that my fiancé proposed to me while we were skydiving yesterday! :)


Today is the happiest day of my life! I am the luckiest girl in the entire world- all of my dreams have come true!  For those interested in the back story, here it goes...

I wanted to surprise Jay his 40th Birthday. So I spent months dreaming of what the perfect surprise would be :) A Luau? Inviting the entire channel and family to our house? Hmmm such a hard decision.

Jay mentioned once he rather "make a memory" then receive a "thing".  So I said, I could not agree more, I can do that.

Finally I decided on a surprise weekend mix of relaxation and adrenaline! A weekend at Gurney's beach resort in the Hampton's!!! Volleyball on the beach, a room with an ocean view, walks on the beach holding hands, dinner at sunset- perfect.

The adrenaline? We would ride down on our motorcycle, and end the weekend SKY DIVING! I am terrified (of heights, falling, and death- the trifecta- so I didn't tell anyone just in case). Jay was excited ( I told him in advance- that is not something you can surprise someone the day of). My sister, my two cousins, and one of their gf's all did it. Jay and I were 1st...

I will add our pics and videos as soon as I get them from the skydiving school :)


Though I spent every night dreaming terrible nightmares of what would go wrong- (I even made a will before I left and googled ways to not die skydiving- what to avoid before the white light).  For those interested in what skydiving is like.  There are four people in a plane so small that you can hardly move, no seats, heads touching the roof,the plane ride up I was surprisingly relaxed (or in denial). Perhaps because I have been on hundreds of questionable flights thanks to Kayak's awesome cheap tickets.

As we were getting strapped in- 10 seconds before they opened the door- Jay got on his knees and said. Michelle- I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. "Oh no, he doesn't think I'll make it"- I thought. Then he pulls out the most beautiful ring I have ever seen in my life! I did the ugly cry through my goggles and pig tails (I think I said- NOW? Really?) and proceeded to kiss the love of my life, give the pilot my ring to hold bc it was a tad loose, and I didn't want to risk it, and then drop blissfully 10,000 feet with an "ear to ear" and "air to air" smile!




My tandem partner, a fellow Canadian- Nick.  Jay says- we are from the same country, I am trusting you with her.  It felt so nice to be the future Mrs. McBain and hear my future hubby request safe delivery of his precious cargo.  Nick and I are attached.  He opens the door- wind starts rushing in, gulp, no turning back now.  He  hangs one leg out, then tells me too, and I added a second slowly.  I look down and freeze looking at the beautiful ocean and towns of  Long Island NY below.  He says SMILE.  I smile, and all of a sudden I am tumble-salting into thin air.

It is not the feeling of a roller coaster where your stomach plummets, but pure amazing.  For 50 seconds, almost one minute I am flying or floating- arms out, turning over and around in the air, free like a bird, and happy as a lark.  Then he puts his hands in front of my face and starts counting  with his fingers 3, 2, 1...

I knew we had two parachutes, and two chances, or say hello to the white light!  All of a sudden I am vertical and floating down gently.  "Look Up" he screams, and I see the parachute opened like a beautiful rainbow over my head.  "Look back", he says and I see Jay!  His parachute opened- YAY!  We made it!

He hands me the reigns... I say, "No, thanks I'm good".  He is persistent and will not take no for an answer.  I am glad he didn't- pull right he says and we spin wildly right, twirling like a ballerina- floating in the clouds.  Center we slow and hover.  "Now, left" he says! Without thinking I pull, and and we spin left, dancing with the wind.  For five minutes I slowly drift from heavens to earth, but I was floating down on a cloud of love and pure happy bliss.


I went 1st (so I wouldn't chicken out...) I am on the bottom, Jay is on top! 


One final request, "Raise your legs when I say", "okay" I say, "just say when".  "Now" and he runs and I an on the floor detached.  Jay lands moments behind me.  I run and hug him, my instructor, and his instructor for safely delivering my fiance!  

Love indeed is a leap of faith.  It can be scary, and exciting.  I took that leap when I met you, and took a bigger one when you asked me to marry you on your 40th Birthday, June 24, 2012 - 10,000 feet in the air, 10 seconds before we both leapt out of a plane.  I have no regrets.  Every second, every memory has been absolutely incredible, and I cannot wait to make a lifetime more!!!  Jay McBain, you are my heart, my soul, my best friend, my partner in crime, my cover for my tea pot and I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with you- making you as ecstatically happy as you make me!!!! xoxooxoxox ♥ ♥ ♥



Special thanks also to the Long Island SkyDiving Center for capturing all the memories on photo, & video, helping our magical day even more amazing, and delivering us safely to each other! (as well as my sister and cousins)  You ROCK! :) Everyone should skydive with your team!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Congratulations!! I love reading the blogs of people I don't know at all and getting teary eyed. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Selena. I am glad I could share my happiness with you! :)

      Delete